What Is Gabapentin?
Gabapentin is a commonly prescribed medication used to treat neuropathic pain related to shingles and seizures. Gabapentin is available in the form of capsule, tablet, solution and suspension. Gabapentin oral capsule is available as the brand-name drug Neurontin.
Gabapentin is also used off-label for other purposes, such as:
- Withdrawal symptoms related to alcohol or other substances
- Anxiety that is related to certain types of psychiatric disorders
- Pain unrelated to nerve problems
How Long Does Gabapentin Stay in Your system
The drug can remains in the body for more than two days. A range of factors can influence an individual how long gabapentin stays in their system, including:
- Amount used: large doses of gabapentin may stay in the body longer
- Frequency of use: If you take gabapentin frequently, it stays in your system for a longer period of time. A single dose will take short time to get rid of.
- Drug interactions: Certain drugs such as morphine, hydrocodone, naproxen etc., can take longer to clear gabapentin from the system and some drugs such as antacids can reduce the amount of gabapentin absorbed by the body.
- Age: Older people experience longer elimination times than the younger people.
- Rate of Metabolism: If your metabolism is slow, it may take your body longer to get rid of gabapentin. The metabolic rate is affected by your physical activity, age, diet and genetics.
- Reduced function of the organs: If your kidney or liver are not functioning properly, it will stay longer in your body.
- Overall health
Blood: Gabapentin can be detected in blood for up to 2 days after it’s taken
Urine: Gabapentin can be detected in urine for 3-4 days after it’s taken
Hair: Gabapentin can be detected in hair for up to 90 days after it’s taken
Saliva: Gabapentin cannot be detected using this test.
Side Effects of Using Gabapentin
If you take an overdose of gabapentin than prescribed, side effects also increases. The severity of the side effects depends on the dosage of gabapentin you have taken. Gabapentin can cause mild or serious side effects.
- cold or flu-like symptoms
- nausea and vomiting
- Blurred vision
- viral infection
- trouble speaking
- pain in the lower back or side
- swelling of the hands, feet, or lower legs
- lack or loss of strength
- jerky movements
Serious side effects
Serious side effects and their symptoms can include the following:
- skin rashes
- swollen lips and tongue
- yellowing of your skin
- aggressive or violent behavior
- Anxiety or panic attacks
- Increasing agitation or aggressiveness
- Mood or behavior changes
- panic attacks
- Impulsive behavior
- trouble sleeping
- unexpected muscle pain
- frequent infections
- unusual bruising or bleeding
- Suicidal thoughts
Related posts :
How Long Does Heroin Stay in Your System
How Long Does Acid Stay in your System
How Long Does Suboxone Stay in your System
How Long Does Benadryl Stay in your System ?
How Long Does Delta 8 Stay in your System
How Long Does Xanax Stay in your System
How Long Does Marinol Stay in your System
How Long Does Coke Stay in Your System
How Long Does Promethazine Stay in your System
How Long Does Kratom Stay in your System ?
Prof. Venkata Kiran Kumar Mandlem is Head Of Department in CMR College of pharmacy Hyderabad . He Completed PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences from Andhra University . More info about him MV Kiran Linkedin